Shrigley Hall Hotel: UK's Most Luxurious Getaway? (You Decide!)
Shrigley Hall Hotel: UK's Most Luxurious Getaway? (You Decide… and I've Got Opinions!) - A Deep Dive
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving deep into Shrigley Hall Hotel. Is it the UK's Most Luxurious Getaway? Well, that depends on your definition of luxury, your tolerance for slightly wonky elevators, and your unwavering love for fluffy robes. Let's peel back the layers, shall we? This ain't your brochure-perfect review, trust me. I'm here to tell you what it's really like.
Let's Start with Accessibility… Because, Seriously, It Matters.
Right off the bat, I'm giving Shrigley Hall a mostly thumbs up on accessibility. They say they have "Facilities for disabled guests," which is the bare minimum (I'm looking at you, hotels!). But, listen, it's an old building, so navigating it can be a bit of a maze. I mean, the "elevator" feels like it's from a bygone era, and I’m not sure it's exactly wheelchair accessible in the truly modern sense. They have to try harder here. But, and this is important, I saw ramps where needed, and the staff seemed genuinely willing to help. So, while not perfect, they're making the effort. Points for that. They've got CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside the property and 24-hour security, so safety is taken seriously.
The Food Odyssey: Navigating the Gastronomic Gauntlet
Okay, food. This is where things get interesting. Shrigley Hall offers a plethora of dining options. They've got multiple Restaurants, a Coffee shop, a Bar, and even a Poolside bar. Talk about options! They have all the important stuff: Breakfast buffet, A la carte, Asian breakfast, even a Vegetarian restaurant, which is always a win in my book. The Happy hour is a must when you're really trying to cut loose. I did the Western breakfast, and it was… well, it was a breakfast. Not mind-blowing, but perfectly acceptable. I’m a sucker for Coffee/tea in restaurant, and the options were plentiful.
One thing I absolutely loved: the Room service [24-hour]. After a long day of… well, relaxing (more on that later), ordering a burger and fries in my robe felt like pure, unadulterated bliss. Pure genius.
Relaxation Station: Where Dreams (and Muscle Knots) Go to Die (Happily).
Now, for the good stuff: Spa time! The Spa/sauna complex is where Shrigley Hall truly shines. Seriously, I spent what felt like a week in the Sauna, alternating with dips in the Swimming pool. They have a Pool with a view, and it is spectacular, particularly at sunset. I indulged – Body scrub, body wrap, massage. Okay, confession time. I usually balk at the price tag, but the Massage was so good, I almost wept with joy. The therapist was an absolute wizard, obliterating years of desk-job tension. My recommendation? Book that Body wrap. It’s a serious dose of pampering. The Steamroom was also worth the price of admission.
Other Perks: The Bits and Bobs That Make a Hotel a Home (Sort Of).
- Internet: They boast Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, and it actually worked. Internet [LAN] access is also available, for those who like things wired. They've got Wi-Fi in public areas too, which is handy.
- Comforts: My room was Air conditioned, and came with a Coffee/tea maker. A lifesaver. Hair dryer, Bathtub, soft Bathrobes and Slippers. They knew their audience.
- Conveniences: They have Cash withdrawal, a Concierge who knew everything, a Convenience store (for emergency chocolate runs!), and Daily housekeeping.
- Safety First: They seem to have taken Cleanliness and safety seriously. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, and Staff trained in safety protocol were the norm. Rooms sanitized between stays. Made me feel a lot safer.
- For the Kids: Babysitting service is available, and they're pretty Family/child friendly. However, I was on a solo mission. So, no kids in my review, sorry!
- Getting Around: Car park [free of charge], Taxi service and even Airport transfer. The Car park [on-site] meant I didn't have to worry. Thank goodness.
My Personal Shrigley Hall Diary: A Few Anecdotes
Okay, so here’s the real, messy, honest truth. The first night? I struggled to find my room. Seriously. I swear, the hallways twist and turn like a particularly confusing maze. After thirty minutes in the dark I had to get help from the Doorman (bless him).
The second night… well, let’s just say I may or may not have accidentally set off a smoke alarm with a rogue stray from the iron. Thankfully, the Fire extinguisher and Smoke alarms were functioning.
The other things, the desk, Laptop workspace, reading light and alarm clock. All perfect for a little bit of work and a LOT of relaxation.
The Verdict: Is Shrigley Hall Worth It? (My Very Opinionated Take).
Okay, so back to the big question: Is Shrigley Hall a UK's most luxurious getaway? It's not perfect. It’s got a few quirks, and it can feel a little fusty in places. But, honestly? Yes, it's worth it.
The spa alone is worth the cost of admission. The food is good, the rooms are comfortable, and the staff genuinely try to make you feel welcome. It’s a place where you can truly switch off and unwind. It's the kind of place you emerge from feeling refreshed, rejuvenated, and maybe a little bit… pampered. It's a good place to get away from it all.
My "Book Now!" Offer to YOU:
Tired of the Grind? Escape to Shrigley Hall!
Ready to experience the magic of Shrigley Hall (and maybe even avoid setting off any smoke alarms)? Book your stay NOW and get:
- A complimentary bottle of wine upon arrival to jumpstart your relaxation.
- A 20% discount on all spa treatments.
- *Free breakfast every day of your stay.
- Early check-in and late check-out (subject to availability), so you can soak up every last moment of blissful pampering.
But hurry! This offer is only valid for bookings made in the next two weeks. Don't miss out on your chance to escape to Shrigley Hall – where luxury meets a little bit of delightful chaos!
Click here to book your Shrigley Hall adventure!
Escape to Paradise: Luxury San Remo Villa Corral Awaits in Argentina!Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't just an itinerary, it's a goddamn journey. We're going to Shrigley Hall, and frankly, I need this – like, really need this. Therapy in the form of rolling hills and overpriced scotch.
Shrigley Hall: Operation De-Stress (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Spa)
Day 1: Arrival, Anticipation, and That Damn Clock
- 1:00 PM - Arrival & Check-In (Hoping for Less Awkwardness Than Last Time, Fingers Crossed!). Okay, let's be honest. I hate check-in. It's the awkward dance of "Do they think I look rich enough to afford the really good room?" and "Please, please, please let the key card work." I pray for a smooth, unhurried experience, but I already feel like I might need a stiff drink.
- Anecdote: Last time at a fancy hotel? I tried to casually drop my room number at the bar, and ended up getting the ice bucket spilled directly down my back. Smooth. Real smooth.
- 2:00 PM - First Impressions & Room Reconnaissance. Okay, room. Let's hope it's not haunted. I swear, every time I stay in a place this old, I spend the first ten minutes frantically searching for ghosts. Are the pillows plump? The view scenic? The minibar stocked with enough gin to obliterate the memory of my commute? (Spoiler alert: I suspect the answer to that last one is always 'no').
- 2:30 PM - Unpacking and "Me Time" Begins. Okay, deep breaths. Unpack. Locate the fluffy robe. Plunge into the bath, because I can't possibly stay dry and sane the whole time. Because I'm really looking forward to it.
- 3:30 PM - Spa Time. Ah, the moment of truth. Honestly, the spa is the whole damn reason I'm here. I'm aiming for a massage that leaves me feeling like I'm floating, not like I wrestled a bear. I'm going for the aromatherapy treatment. Why the aromatherapy? Because I need to be surrounded by wonderful scents to make it through this trip.
- Quirky Observation: I once saw a woman in a spa robe who looked like she'd been through a war. Face like a crumpled paper, but still, you just know she was owning that robe. I aspire.
- 5:00 PM - Post-Spa Bliss (and Slightly Disoriented Walking). Okay, massage done. I'm usually so relaxed after a good massage that I have trouble remembering my own name, let alone where the bar is. The goal is to navigate my way to a cocktail without embarrassing myself.
- 6:00 PM - Drinks at the Bar (and maybe a small existential crisis). Every hotel bar is a little universe. I'll soak it in with a drink. Sometimes it's the quiet solitude that I crave.
Day 2: Golf, Gluttony, and the Quest for Inner Peace (probably not in that order)
- 8:00 AM - Breakfast. The Most Important Meal… of Avoiding Hangover. Okay, no judging, but some greasy carbs and strong coffee are vital. I'll probably spend half the time people-watching. I love to see the people.
- Anecdote: I once met a guy at breakfast who claimed to be a millionaire but wore socks with sandals. This is the reality of the world.
- 9:30 AM - Golf. Attempt Number… Well, Many. I'm terrible at golf. Truly, spectacularly awful. But I like the idea of it! The fresh air, the frustration- the camaraderie (aka, the misery shared with my friends).
- 12:00 PM - Lunch at the Golf Club (More People-Watching). Sandwiches. Beer. More people with golf clubs. It's a lifestyle.
- 2:00 PM - Hiking through the Surrounding Area. Gotta make the hike somewhere to walk off the lunch and to work on the mental peace. Just breathing in fresh air. In this state, it's all the therapy I could want.
- 4:00 PM - High Tea (Because Why Not?). Afternoon tea. I'd go for it, because I deserve it, and it's fun.
- 6:00 PM - Dinner. The Main Event! I'll try to eat something fancy, and then order dessert. Why eat healthy? If I'm feeling indulgent, I'm going to be indulgent!
- 8:00 PM - Lounging and Nightcap. I'm at peace. The whole point is just to relax, and to let go. Drink in peace. Read what I want to read.
Day 3: Farewell, Frustration, and the Inevitable Return to Reality
- 9:00 AM - Leisurely Breakfast & Last Glimpses. Last chance. The last breakfast. So enjoy it. Enjoy the hotel, the whole experience.
- 10:00 AM - Final Spa Treatment? If there's time, and if my bank account can handle it, I'll go for a quick massage.
- 11:00 AM - Check Out (And the inevitable mini-panic about leaving). Time to leave. I have to go back to the real world. Sigh.
- 12:00 PM - Departure. The Long Road Home. Well, that was amazing. I need to come back.
Post-Trip Reflections:
Okay, truthfully, this trip was probably a mess. Did I get completely and utterly relaxed? Probably not. Did I overeat? Absolutely. Did I make a fool of myself at least once? Almost certainly.
But, I'm okay with it. Shrigley Hall will have some impact.
And, hey, at least I got to wear a fluffy robe. That's what really matters, right?
Escape to Paradise: 12 Apostles Hotel & Spa, South Africa AwaitsShrigley Hall: Is it REALLY UK's Most Luxurious Getaway? (Spoiler: Maybe!)
So, like, *Is* Shrigley Hall Worth the Hype? Honest to God?
Okay, okay, deep breath. The hype... it's *intense*. I've seen the photos, the reviews, Instagram is practically begging me to go. And yes, Shrigley Hall is stunning. The drive up is something else! Think sweeping views, a gigantic golf course (which, confession, I understand NOTHING about). The hotel itself? A proper castle-y vibe. Definitely a ‘wow’ moment. But LUXURIOUS? Hmm... that depends on your idea of luxury.
My first impression? A tiny bit... *stuffy*. Like, you have to remember your manners and your elbow placement at all times. But as the day wore on, the staff were brilliant. They clearly put in the effort. And the food? Oh, the food. I’ll get to that, I think. I might. It depends on how deep I go into my experience.
Generally, yes, worth a shot. Especially if you need a big dose of "escape the real world" but don't *expect* perfection. And don't expect a party. Think peaceful. Think pamper. Think... maybe slightly overpriced. But again, depends what you value.
Room Service - Do They Actually Bring You Anything Good or Is It Just Dry Sandwiches And Regret?
Alright, room service. The true test of any luxury hotel, right? Okay, hear me out. I ordered a club sandwich at, like, 2 am after a particularly intense bubble bath (more on the bath later, it was *amazing*).
The sandwich itself, surprisingly, was actually *pretty good*. Crust cut off, the works. Perfectly edible. Not necessarily award-winning, but considering the witching hour and my potential for drunken ordering... a win! BUT... the potatoes, oh the poor, sad potatoes. They'd clearly been sitting under a heat lamp for a millennium. Dry, lifeless, and screaming for attention. Seriously, I think I actually *felt* them whispering, "Don't eat us, please." So, ate the sandwich, and felt pangs of guilt for the potatoes.
So, the service? Impeccable. Super friendly guy on the phone. Fast delivery. The sandwich? Solid. The potatoes? A minor tragedy. Proceed with caution, potato lovers. And maybe order a side salad. Or, better yet, sneak down to the kitchen and raid the potato stash. Just kidding… mostly.
The Spa: Bubbles, Babble, and Bliss? Or Bad Water and a Bad Back?
Oh, the spa. This is where it got *interesting*. I’m a sucker for a spa. I need to be surrounded by steam, water, and the gentle scent of expensive oils. And Shrigley's spa looks the part! The pool is huge, the steam rooms are steamy, and the relaxation area? Comfy chairs and a whole wall of magazines you won't ever actually read (too busy relaxing, obviously).
The treatment… I had a massage. Booked it weeks in advance, was *so* looking forward to it. The therapist was lovely, bless her. And the *effort* was there, I could feel it. But… (yep, there's a but) the massage itself felt a little… tentative. Like she was afraid to really *dig in*. Which I understand if you're new and nervous, but I needed *pressure*! I needed my knots to be annihilated!
The weirdest part? During the treatment, there was some sort of *loud drilling* coming from somewhere. Clearly they were building the extensions or re-doing the roof or something. Which is fine, things break and need fixin', but the constant *whirrrrr* and *thump* really killed the zen vibe. So yeah, bubbles, babble, and… construction. And a slightly disappointing massage. Still, pool was ace.
The Restaurant: Michelin Stars or Microwave Meals?
Okay, the food. This is where Shrigley Hall *almost* completely redeemed itself. The main restaurant (can't remember the name; it's probably something fancy) is gorgeous. High ceilings, crisp white tablecloths, the works. The staff? Proper professionals. Which, after the potatoes of doom, was a welcome change.
I had the most incredible scallops. Seriously, they were practically *singing* on the plate. Perfectly seared, flavour explosions. Then, I went for… the duck. Again, sublime. Crispy skin, succulent meat, perfectly cooked. I could have wept with joy. Seriously, I almost licked the plate. Almost.
The wine list was extensive (and expensive, naturally). And yes, the service was slow (typical for fancy places, I guess), but the food… the food was worth the wait. This is where the "luxury" really shone through. Forget the construction, the tentative massage, the slightly depressing potatoes... the restaurant? Brilliant. Go for the food. That's my major takeaway.
Am I Going to Get Any Sleep, Or is it a Night of Mysterious Noises?
Sleep. Ah, the holy grail. Okay, the beds were *comfortable*. Proper, sink-into-them mattresses. The pillows? Fluffy. The room itself? Spacious. So, *theoretically*, all signs pointed to a sound night's sleep.
However… during the night I heard *stuff*. Maybe it was the wind whistling through the ancient walls. Possibly some nocturnal wildlife doing its thing. Or perhaps a ghostly ballroom dance practice? (It's a very spooky looking building, remember?) I'm not saying it was scary, but it definitely wasn't *silent*. Earplugs? Maybe. Or a stiff drink before bedtime. That seemed to work for everyone.
Overall? A solid, albeit slightly noisy, sleep experience. Don't go expecting total silence, unless you travel with your own anechoic chamber. Which, admittedly, is an idea....
The Verdict: So Yeah or BIG NO?
Okay, the final judgment. Shrigley Hall… is complicated. Is it the *most* luxurious getaway in the UK? Ehhhh… probably not. But is it a genuinely lovely place to unwind, eat some fantastic food, and escape the daily grind? Absolutely.
You'll need to temper your expectations. Don't expect perfection. Expect some minor imperfections and a few quirky moments. But do go with an open mind, a hungry stomach, and a desire to relax. And DEFINITELY schedule a massage somewhere else. And maybe bring your own potatoes.
Would I go back? Yeah, probably. Mostly for the scallops and the bubble bath potential. But this time, I'd bring earplugs.
My Hotel Reviewst