Hokkaido Hidden Gem: Uncover Portom International's Secrets!

Portom International Hokkaido Japan

Portom International Hokkaido Japan

Hokkaido Hidden Gem: Uncover Portom International's Secrets!

Okay, buckle up, because we're about to dive headfirst into the supposed "Hidden Gem" that is Portom International in Hokkaido. Forget those perfectly polished travel blogs, you're getting the real deal. This is less a review, more a messy, honest, and sometimes rambling account of my experience. (And let's be real, SEO is a guideline, not a gospel. We’ll get the keywords in, but the truth is more important.)

Hokkaido Hidden Gem: Uncover Portom International's Secrets! (Mostly… and with some Grumbles)

First off, let's be real, "Hidden Gem" is thrown around like confetti these days. But could Portom actually be one? Well… let’s break it down, shall we?

Accessibility: (The Good, the Bad, and the "Why Is This So Hard?!")

  • Accessibility: Okay, so, in theory, they claim to be accessible. Wheelchair accessible? Yes, on paper. But getting around actual hotels is another matter. The lobby looked grand, but I swear, some of the ramps were steeper than my grandma's driveway. Elevator: Yup. A working one. Success! But the buttons were kinda… sticky. Just a minor inconvenience, but it adds up when you're constantly trying to navigate the "hidden gem" charm.

  • Facilities for disabled guests: I'm not fully disabled so I can't comment on this from personal experience. I’m going to have to take their word for it, I hope they delivered.

  • Check-in/out [express]: Definitely something to look forward to.


On-site accessible restaurants / lounges: Not sure. I didn’t see anything specifically advertised.

Internet: (The Struggle is Real)

  • Internet: Deep sigh. This is where things got… interesting.
    • Internet access – LAN: I saw a port in the room. That’s it.
    • Internet access – wireless: Promised. Delivered… intermittently. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms? More like "Free-Wi-Fi-That-Might-Actually-Work-If-You're-Lucky." Seriously, I spent half a morning trying to download a simple PDF. It felt like the dial-up days all over again!
    • Wi-Fi in public areas:…Better, but still not amazing. I ended up just tethering to my phone, which, you know, kind of defeats the point. A good internet access is a MUST.

Things to Do (Beyond the Wi-Fi Abyss)

  • Ways to relax: This is where Portom shined, mostly.

    • Spa/sauna: YES. The spa. Now we’re talking.
      • Sauna: The sauna was heaven. Seriously, the perfect amount of heat, the smell of cedar… I could practically feel my stress melting away. I mean, it was sooooo good.
    • Pool with view: Stunning!
      • Swimming pool [outdoor]: I’m not sure there are things better than swimming while enjoying the beautiful view…
    • Body wrap: I didn't try it, sadly. Should have…
    • Massage: Mmm, a massage. I didn’t get one. Regrets.
    • Fitness center: I didn’t want to lift weights.

Cleanliness and Safety: (More Good Than Bad, Thankfully)

  • Cleanliness: Pretty darn good. Spotlessly clean.
  • Anti-viral cleaning products: Seems like they were.
  • Daily disinfection in common areas: Yes.
  • Hand sanitizer: Yep, everywhere.
  • Room sanitization opt-out available: Nice touch.
  • Rooms sanitized between stays: Good.
  • Staff trained in safety protocol: They seemed to be.
  • Fire extinguisher: Check.
  • Smoke alarms: Check.
  • Security [24-hour]: Check.
  • CCTV in common areas/outside property: Check.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: (A Mixed Bag)

  • Restaurants: Several.

    • A la carte in restaurant: Yes.
    • Buffet in restaurant: Yes.
    • Asian cuisine in restaurant: Yes. (And delicious!)
    • International cuisine in restaurant: Yes. (Also good!)
    • Western cuisine in restaurant: Yes. (A bit so-so)
  • Breakfast [buffet]: Okay, let’s talk breakfast. I’m usually a breakfast person, but this was…disappointing. Scrambled eggs that tasted like they came from a vat, rubbery bacon, and lukewarm coffee. (And no, I'm not a pretentious food critic. I just wanted a decent breakfast!)

    • Asian breakfast: The miso soup was pretty great! But the rest of the Asian options were a bit… bland.
  • Coffee shop/Bar/Poolside bar/Snack bar: I saw these, but I didn't really explore them.

  • Room service [24-hour]: Good to know.

Services and Conveniences: (The Perks)

  • Concierge: Extremely helpful.
  • Currency exchange: Useful.
  • Daily housekeeping: Yup.
  • Doorman: There was one.
  • Elevator: As mentioned, worked.
  • Luggage storage: Yes.
  • Laundry service/Dry cleaning/Ironing service: Yes. Also yes.
  • Gift/souvenir shop: Yes.
  • Car park [free of charge]: Yes.
  • Airport transfer: Yes.
  • Business facilities: They seemed pretty good. I didn’t use them.
  • Contactless check-in/out: Nice touch.
  • Cash withdrawal: Yes.

For the Kids:

  • Family/child friendly: Yes.
  • Babysitting service: Yes.
  • Kids facilities: I saw something that looked like a playground…

Available in All Rooms (The Essentials)

  • Air conditioning: Yup.
  • Alarm clock: Yes.
  • Bathrobes/Slippers: Yes.
  • Blackout curtains: Thank god.
  • Coffee/tea maker/Complimentary tea,Free bottled water: Always a welcome touch!
  • Hair dryer/Toiletries: Yes.
  • In-room safe box: Yes.
  • Mini bar: Yes.
  • Non-smoking/Smoke detector: Yes.
  • Refrigerator: Yes.
  • Satellite/cable channels: Yes.
  • Soundproofing: Kinda.
  • Television: Yes.
  • Wake-up service: Yes.
  • Wi-Fi [free]: See above.

Getting Around:

  • Car park [free of charge]: Yes.
  • Taxi service: Yes.

My Verdict (Is it REALLY a Hidden Gem?)

Look, Portom International has its flaws. The Wi-Fi is a serious pain, and the breakfast needs some serious work. But… the location is beautiful, the spa is phenomenal, and the staff are genuinely friendly and helpful.

The Verdict? It's not a perfect hidden gem, more like a "diamond in the rough" gem. It has potential. It has charms. But it's not without its quirks.

The Quirky Observation: I swear, at the end of the hall there was a shrine. Like, a literal shrine. It was… interesting. Gave the place an unexpected spiritual vibe!

Recommendation: If you're looking for a relaxing spa getaway with some truly breathtaking views of Hokkaido, and you’re willing to be patient with the internet and some minor imperfections, then maybe Portom International is worth a look.

My Recommendation for Portom: Fix the Wi-Fi and the breakfast, and you might actually have a proper gem on your hands.


Ready to embrace the messiness? Book your stay at Portom International today!

(Don't expect perfection. But do expect relaxation… and maybe a few laughs along the way!)

SEO-Friendly Keywords:

  • Hokkaido Hotels
  • Hokkaido Spa
  • Sapporo Hotels
  • Luxury Hotels Hokkaido
  • Best Spas Hokkaido
  • Hokkaido Hidden Gem
  • Portom International Review
  • Hokkaido Accessible Hotels
  • Hokkaido Family Hotels
  • Hokkaido with Kids
  • Things to do in Hokkaido
  • Japanese Hotels
  • Hokkaido Resort
  • Hokkaido Sauna
  • Hokkaido Outdoor Pool View
  • Hokkaido Asian Cuisine
  • Hokkaido International Cuisine
  • Hokkaido Free Wi-Fi
  • Hokkaido Hotel with Spa
  • Hokkaido Hotel with Beautiful Views
  • Hokkaido Car Park Free of Charge
  • Hokkaido Airport Transfer
Indonesian Paradise: Your Romantic 1-BR Escape (IR66A)

Book Now

Portom International Hokkaido Japan

Alright, Buckle up, Buttercups! My Hokkaido Adventure: A Messy, Honest, and Possibly Delicious Itinerary

(Disclaimer: This isn't a perfectly polished travel guide. It's my brain vomit on paper, or, uh, the screen.)

Day 1: Arrival! (And Immediate Regret About the Airplane Food)

  • Morning (ish): Landed at New Chitose Airport (CTS). The air was crisp, promising. I was cautiously optimistic. Then I ate airplane food. Ugh. That little plastic tray of "mystery meat" and congealed rice almost brought my trip to an abrupt, culinary-related end. Note to self: Pack a massive stash of granola bars next time.
  • Mid-day: Train to Sapporo. Found my way around, eventually. Public transport in Japan: a beautiful, organized dance… until you accidentally get on the wrong train and end up staring blankly at a cow farm. (Okay, maybe that was just me.)
  • Afternoon: Checked into my Sapporo hotel. It was, and I'm using the word VERY loosely, a charming little shoebox. Tiny, but clean. And hey, a bed's a bed, right? Started wandering the city, utterly lost, but also strangely thrilled. Sapporo smelled like ramen and ambition.
  • Evening: Ramen quest! Found this tiny, hole-in-the-wall place near the Sapporo Beer Garden (more on that later). The ramen was LIFE-CHANGING. Rich broth, perfectly cooked noodles, melt-in-your-mouth pork. I slurped it loud, unapologetically. This, my friends, is what travel is about: finding perfect bowls of soup. Tried to order some beer, but the waitress didn't understand my attempts at Japanese. I pointed and hoped for the best.

Day 2: Beer, Bears, and the Bitter Sweetness of Solo Travel

  • Morning: Sapporo Beer Garden! Okay, I know I'm supposed to be a sophisticated traveler, but the beer garden was pure, unadulterated FUN. Massive beer hall, mountains of food. They had all-you-can-eat Genghis Khan (grilled lamb). I fear I may have single-handedly depleted their lamb reserves. It was glorious. The beer, even more so.
  • Afternoon: Daisetsuzan National Park. This was the part I was most excited for. Hiking through the mountains, crisp air, maybe even see a wild animal… except I think I might be the wild animal they were trying to avoid. The park was beautiful, but I was pretty sure I got turned around. Had a mild panic attack when I realized I wasn't sure which way was back. My phone, naturally, had died. Sat on a rock, ate a granola bar (thank God for those), and enjoyed the view. Found the path eventually. Saw a cute little squirrel. That was my wildlife encounter.
  • Evening: Back in Sapporo. Walked around the Susukino entertainment district. The lights, the energy… it was overwhelming. Thought about going into a bar when I felt the all-too-familiar lonesome tinge of the solo traveler. Ate some tempura at a place I found on Google Maps. It was good, but not as good as the ramen. Started a journal. Made a vow to make friends.

Day 3: Otaru and the Haunted Music Box Museum (Maybe?)

  • Morning: Train to Otaru, the canal city. Honestly, the train ride was worth it. Beautiful scenery, the ocean and the vast stretches of green. The air still had that cool crispness.
  • Afternoon: The Music Box Museum! Okay, this is where things get… weird. Otaru is known for its music boxes. The museum is the Disneyland of tinkling melodies. I wandered through, mesmerized by the intricate gears and the delicate tunes. Then, I started getting, dare I say… spooked. The lighting. The hushed whispers of other tourists. The endless rows of tiny, porcelain dolls… I swear, I heard a music box playing "It's a Small World" at one point. Alone. Let's just say, I left the museum rather quickly. I spent the following hour in full, wide-eyed contemplation. The only cure was a giant ice cream cone.
  • Evening: Found a cute little restaurant in Otaru with a view of the canal. Ordered seafood. The food was great, really. The ambiance even better, though I was still haunted by the dolls. Decided to be brave and walk the canal at night. It was the most hauntingly beautiful thing. Sat and watched people come and go, and I was thankful for the alone time. This is the magic of travelling, isn't it? Even the scary stories, the loneliness.

Day 4: Farm to Table and a Bathing Break

  • Morning: Farm Visit? Hokkaido is known for its agriculture! Found a small, organic farm not far from Sapporo. Spent some quality time cuddling sheep and trying to understand the concept of the perfect tomato. It was incredibly relaxing.
  • Afternoon: Onsen Time! (hot springs). Found this little gem. The air was crisp, the hot water was SO GOOD, especially after so much walking. People here are naked, it was awkward at first, but they are all so polite I felt OK. I stared at the mountaintops and simply relaxed.
  • Evening: Back to Sapporo, ready to go home and feel really good about my life for a week.

Day 5: Departure (and a Vow to Return)

  • Morning: One last ramen, one last exploration. Said goodbye to my favourite restaurants.
  • Afternoon: So, back to the airport and back to reality. But I know now: I will return. The magic of Hokkaido is worth the awkward train rides, the near-starvation episodes, and the occasional music box ghost.
  • Evening: Airplane food (again… sigh). Dreaming of ramen.

(P.S. If you find a music box that looks suspicious, RUN. And maybe pack extra granola bars.)

Escape to Paradise: Marianna Hotel Apartments, Cyprus Awaits!

Book Now

Portom International Hokkaido Japan

Hokkaido Hidden Gem: Uncover Portom International's Secrets! (Yeah, You Think You Know, But...) - A FAQ That's Actually Real

Okay, Okay, So What EXACTLY is Portom International? Like, Beyond the Brochure?

Alright, so Portom. You see the website, right? Glossy photos, promises of "unique experiences"... yawn. Let me tell you, that's just the pretty wrapping paper. Portom International, from my own (slightly jaded, admittedly) perspective, is a curated collection of *stuff* in Hokkaido. Think of it as a secret little club, but instead of handshakes and passwords, you need – well, you need to find the bloody club in the first place. They specialize in small group tours, mostly focused on local culture, food, and... whatever else they feel like adding that season. It's like someone took a bunch of the *best* bits of Hokkaido and stuck them in a blender... then maybe forgot to clean the blender properly (more on that later).

Is it REALLY a Hidden Gem? I Mean, TripAdvisor Says... Things.

"Hidden Gem" is a loaded term, isn't it? TripAdvisor? Bless their hearts, they're trying. But seriously, Portom *feels* hidden. You're not getting herded around with a thousand other tourists, elbowing your way to snap the perfect photo. It's *intimate*, which is either wonderful or awkward, depending on your tolerance for small talk with strangers. My tour, we were maybe eight people. And, yeah, some of the TripAdvisor reviews are... let's say *mixed*. One lady said "they need to offer better snacks" - I’m still trying to figure out whether that makes me laugh or cry. But look, the *spirit* of what they're doing is gem-like. The execution... well, that's where it gets interesting.

What Kind of Tours Do They Actually Offer? Tell Me Something Specific!

Alright, here comes the money shot. I went on the "Whiskey & Wildlife" tour. Sounds fancy, right? It WAS. Mostly. We went to a local distillery, which was FANTASTIC. The tour guide, bless his heart (I think his name was Kenji), knew *everything* about the distilling process. We got to taste some seriously good stuff. Like, "hid my glass under the table so I could sneak another sip" good. The wildlife part was... well, we walked around some beautiful forests, hoping to spot some deer or a cheeky fox. Saw *one* deer. From, like, a mile away. It felt like a tiny, brown blur. But the forest itself? Stunning. The air smelled like... well, like Hokkaido. Like pine and damp earth and a little bit of magic. So, yeah. Whiskey was a win. Wildlife? Less so. But still, that forest! I can almost still smell it now. Oh, and the lunch! Homemade noodles... heaven.

Okay, Sounds Good... But What About the Negatives? 'Cause There's Always Got To Be Negatives. Right?

Ugh, yes. Okay, so here's where the cracks start to show. First off, the website... it's charmingly… basic. Like, they probably haven't upgraded it since dial-up. This does *not* inspire confidence. Then there's the communication. It's… efficient. Not particularly friendly. Don't expect a flurry of emails weeks before your trip. They’ll give you the bare minimum, which, for someone like me who likes to over-plan, was a minor heart attack. And then there was the transport. We went to pick up a small bus that looked… well... It looked like it had seen better days. The air conditioning was on, but it made the same noise as a dying whale, and the seats kinda sagged. But you know what? You forgot about it after about 10 minutes when the scenery began to blow your mind. And the tour itself, wasn't flawless. Sometimes the itinerary felt a little *too* loose. But you get used to it. And it does add to the… character.

Is it GOOD Value for Money? Because Travel is Expensive!

Listen, the price tag is a bit… yeah. It’s not dirt cheap. But consider what you're getting. You're paying for access to stuff you probably couldn't find yourself. Local knowledge. A break from the hordes of tourists. And, honestly, it’s about the memories. I’m still thinking about that whiskey, the smell of the forest, even the slightly rickety bus. The experience, the people (even the slightly awkward ones!), it made it worth it. And, frankly, I’d probably pay more. Because what's value, eh? Is it what you get on paper, or what ends up in your heart? And honestly - what other whisky tours do you know of.

I'm a Foodie! Will I be Fed? And Will It Be Good?

Oh, honey, YES. Portom knows food. They *understand* food. My Whiskey & Wildlife tour included a traditional lunch that was... well, it was incredible. Fresh, local ingredients, prepared with obvious love. We're talking flavors exploding in your mouth. Think homemade noodles, local vegetables, perfectly grilled fish. I was practically licking my plate. I had this AMAZING salmon, I'm suddenly remembering I'm still drooling! They really showcase the regional specialties and seasonal ingredients, that's their absolute strength. The only downside is that they didn't warn me about how good the food would be. I was so full by the end of it, I couldn't eat dinner. A minor tragedy, indeed. But hey, you win some, you lose some.

What Kind of People Go on These Tours? Are They All Like… Retired Couples?

Okay, so, a mixed bag, to be brutally honest. There were some couples on my tour. One sweet older couple from England, who kept taking photos of everything. I thought, awwww. There was a solo traveler, a guy who was clearly a whisky enthusiast, and he'd been going to Japan for decades. We had a lovely chat and shared a whisky-fueled laugh at the end. And there was… a family. Two parents, a teenager who was glued to his phone (naturally), and a younger child who was fascinated by, well, by EVERYTHING. They were all a bit mismatched, but, the thing is, it somehow *worked*. It just felt right. The group dynamic, the shared experiences... it was a warm and lovely way to tour Hokkaido. Basically, come as you are, and be prepared for a bit of everything! The people made the trip as much as the place.

Okay, You've Got Me Interested. Any Advice?

My advice? Go in with LOW expectations. And a healthy dose of humor. Don't expect perfection. Embrace the charming imperfections. Bring a good book. And maybe some extra snacks, just in case. Also, pack for ALL weather. Hokkaido can throw anything at you. Be flexible, be open-minded,Hotel Search Site

Portom International Hokkaido Japan

Portom International Hokkaido Japan