Hotel La Marine: Vieux Port's Hidden Gem? You WON'T Believe This!

Hotel La Marine, Vieux Port France

Hotel La Marine, Vieux Port France

Hotel La Marine: Vieux Port's Hidden Gem? You WON'T Believe This!

Hotel La Marine: Vieux Port's Hidden Gem? Hold on to Your Hat (and Your Towel)!

Okay, folks, buckle up. Because I've just emerged, blinking and slightly sunburnt, from a stay at Hotel La Marine in Marseille's Vieux Port – and let me tell you, it was a ride. Forget those perfectly polished hotel reviews. This is the real deal. I'm talking honest observations, a few whines, and the unvarnished truth about this supposed "hidden gem." (Spoiler alert: It's pretty gem-like, but also, life ain't perfect, ya know?)

First things first: Accessibility. Now, I didn't need full-blown accessibility features, but I poked around. The elevator seemed decent, and the front desk staff were super helpful. They were definitely aiming for that "we care" vibe. So, generally, it seemed to be going in the right direction. They had facilities for disabled guests, which is a huge plus. Though I didn't investigate every nook and cranny, they get points for effort.

Now, about the other stuff… my head is still spinning a little from the sheer amount of options.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – OH MY!

Listen, I'm a foodie. I live to eat. And Hotel La Marine? They get me. The breakfast buffet? Okay, it wasn't Michelin-starred (and honestly, I probably wouldn't want that first thing in the morning!), but it was SOLID. They had the usual suspects, plus a few surprises. The Asian breakfast corner, (huh?) was a fun touch, you could get Asian cuisine in restaurant, which was surprisingly good even at 8am. Seriously, those little bao buns? Addictive. I ate, like, five. The coffee/tea in restaurant? Plentiful, thankfully. Fueling my caffeine habit was a breeze.

The main restaurant? Let's just say I spent a significant amount of time there. The a la carte in restaurant options were tempting -- my salad in restaurant was the freshest, crispiest thing I'd eaten in a week. The desserts in restaurant were… well, let's say I may or may not have snuck a second slice of that chocolate cake back to my room. The poolside bar was a godsend. Sipping a cocktail with a view while watching the sun dip below the horizon? Yeah, that's the life. They also had a snack bar, a Western cuisine in restaurant, and even a vegetarian restaurant (though I didn't get a chance to try it). It felt like they were trying to please everyone. A little too much, maybe? But hey, options are good!

And the 24-hour room service? Genius. Because sometimes, you just need a sandwich at 3 AM, right?

Things to Do & Ways to Relax (Or Avoid Your Problems, Let's Be Real)

This is where things get interesting. They've got a fitness center. Which, let's be honest, I looked at longingly from the breakfast table. A spa? YES. A massage? DOUBLE YES. A sauna, steamroom, and a swimming pool? You guessed it. YES, YES, AND YES. And the pool with view? Stunning. I'm talking jaw-dropping, Instagram-worthy stunning. I spent a solid afternoon there, floating around and pretending I wasn't stressed about, well, everything.

Now, here's the confession: I spent way too much time in the sauna. In fact, I basically lived in the spa/sauna area. It was glorious. I felt every ounce of tension melt away. The Body scrub and Body wrap were top notch, I felt like a brand new human. Except, you know, the slightly wrinkly kind.

Getting to that point of serenity wasn't without its hiccups. The gym/fitness was a bit cramped. The music was a little… questionable. But Hey, a foot bath was nice.

Cleanliness and Safety: Did I Survive?

Alright, the Covid era. They took it seriously. Daily disinfection in common areas, Hygiene certification, Professional-grade sanitizing services. They had Hand sanitizer everywhere. They even offered Room sanitization opt-out available, which shows they're listening to people. Staff trained in safety protocol? Check. Individually-wrapped food options? Yes, for the cautious. They even had Safe dining setup, meaning no, I was unlikely to catch anything at the restaurant. Seeing these things helped me relax.

More importantly, the room itself was pristine. Rooms sanitized between stays is the bare minimum these days.

Rooms, Rooms, Glorious Rooms

Okay, so Available in all rooms: Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone (who even uses this anymore?), Bathtub, Blackout curtains (essential!), Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor (mine was great!), In-room safe box, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror (for admiring your post-sauna glow!), Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Satellite/cable channels, Scale (ugh, the truth!), Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed (thank you, electrical gods!), Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.

The room was comfortable, clean, and well-laid-out. The Air conditioning was a godsend in the Marseille heat. The bed was ridiculously comfortable.

However… and there's always a but, isn't there? My room was a bit… basic. It lacked that wow factor. Though, maybe that’s what made it feel so relaxing?

Services and Conveniences - They Thought of Everything!

Okay, here’s the insane list: Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center.

The Concierge were absolute stars. The laundry service was a lifesaver after my sauna marathon. The free Wi-Fi in all rooms! was fast and reliable. I needed to book a last-minute flight, and I had zero issues. The cashless payment service, made things easy.

Getting around was easy, with Airport transfer, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, and Valet parking on hand.

The Little Things (or, the Things That Nearly Broke Me)

Okay, there were a few tiny things. The elevator service wasn't lightning fast. The lighting in my room was a little… clinical. And, for the love of all that is holy, why did they put the TV so far from the bed?! These barely take away from the experience.

For the Kids - I didn't have any kids with me, but it looked like they were prepared! They have Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, and Kids meal. I'm not sure if there's a play area, or if they have any extra activities. But the hotel seemed welcoming.

Getting Around

They thought of everything: Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site]Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking.

The Bottom Line:

Hotel La Marine? It's not perfect. But it's charming, comfortable, and packed with amenities. It's got a soul, something you don't get at a lot of chain hotels.

So, Should You Book?

HELL YES!

Here's the Deal – The Offer You Can't Refuse:

Escape to the Mediterranean with our "Spa & Sun" Package!

Book your stay at Hotel La Marine for **[Insert Dates Here, e.g., September

Escape to Paradise: Unforgettable Luxury at Hotel Montmorency & Spa, France

Book Now

Hotel La Marine, Vieux Port France

Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into the glorious, chaotic mess that is my itinerary for a supposed "relaxing" stay at Hotel La Marine, right smack dab in the heart of Vieux Port, Marseille. Relaxing? HA! More like a crash course in existential dread and exquisite pastries, but hey, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Day 1: Arrival and the Great Pastis Panic

  • 10:00 AM (ish) - Depressing Flight to Marseille. Actually, let's be real. Getting on a plane feels like signing your life away. This flight? Delayed, naturally. Next to me? A guy who kept loudly chewing gum and belting out what he thought were opera arias. Marseille, already testing my patience!

  • 1:00 PM - Arrival and Hotel La Marine Check-In (Sweaty and Slightly Delusional). Finding the hotel wasn't too difficult. The Vieux Port is kind of unavoidable. The check-in itself? A ballet of jet lag-induced fumbling. I could barely understand the receptionist, and I definitely butchered my French as usual. I managed to stumble up to my room, and plop myself down on the bed. The room is small but has a great view, of the port, so I couldn't complain.

  • 2:00 PM - The Quest for Pastis (and Mild Panic). Armed with Google Maps and an aggressive thirst, I ventured out. Finding a decent pastis is a serious undertaking. First bar? Closed. Second? Crowded with suspiciously stylish people. Third? Bingo! But. They only had Pernod. Pernod! I'm a Ricard girl, through and through. I took a deep breath, ordered a Pernod, and downed it to get it with the rest of the locals. Honestly, it got better after the third glass.

  • 3:00 PM- Strolling or actually walking, the Vieux Port: The port itself. It's a sight, I must say, I stopped and just watch the boats bobbing around. The sun was out, the air was heavy with the scent of the sea. I saw a group of seagulls, and honestly, i almost thought the seagull, would come to me and eat my sandwich. It makes you think about the history, the traders, the empires.

  • 6:00 PM - Dinner at a Waterfront Bistro (and the realization that I can't eat another mussel). I picked a place based on… well, it looked pretty. Ordered moules marinières. A classic, right? Wrong. I had a big bowl of them after a couple of hours. After eating the bowls, I could feel the sweat on my forehead, the same feeling I got when I had to run around running track back in high school. It hits you. But, the view was stunning, so I can't complain.

  • 8:00 PM - Attempted Stroll along the Quai (and the creeping realization that my French sucks). Wanted to act like a local, so I tried to ask directions from a local and ended it by walking in the wrong direction. I just have accepted it.

  • 9:00 PM - Bed (Finally, Sweet, Glorious Bed). Didn't even bother to brush my teeth. Jet lag, and the thought of another pastis.

Day 2: Markets, Museums, and the Case of the Missing Croissant

  • 8:00 AM - Wake Up (or, more accurately, wake up and stare at the ceiling for an hour). Is it morning or am I dreaming? The answer is: I don't know, and I'm not sure I want to. The bed is comfortable, and the view of the port is calming.

  • 9:00 AM - Mission: Croissant Acquisition (and the ensuing battle with morning hunger). The hotel breakfast, which seemed appealing at first, ended up being a very sad spread. I mean, the coffee was basically dishwater, and the pastries looked like they’d been rejected by a bakery across the street.

  • 10:00 AM - The Vieux Port Market. Chaos and Exquisite Smells. This market is pure sensory overload. Mountains of olives, overflowing baskets of fruit, and the most fragrant spices imaginable. I could spend an hour just inhaling the aroma. I bought some cherries, a bag of dried apricots, and a truly terrifying-looking fish.

  • 12:00 PM - Finally, Lunch! (and More Seafood, Because Why Not?). This time, I was a pro. I found a teeny, tiny restaurant tucked away on a side street, and ordered a plate of grilled sardines. It was heaven.

  • 2:00 PM - The Musée d'Histoire de Marseille (and the crippling boredom that set in after an hour). History museums. I love them. But this one… okay, it was a bit much. Too many artifacts. Too many things to read. By the time I got to the 18th-century weaponry exhibit, I was seriously considering becoming a pirate.

  • 4:00 PM - Back to the Hotel (and a Moment of Existential Dread on the Balcony). Watched the boats in the harbor. Thinking about life choices. Questioning if I will find love or a job.

  • 7:00 PM - Dinner at a Michelin-Recommended Restaurant (I was being fancy, I'll admit it). The food was phenomenal, and the wine flowed freely. I think I might have shed a tear, I was that happy!

  • 9:00 PM - Walk Along the Harbor and Sleep. After one last walk and one look at the bright street lights, I fell asleep.

Day 3: Day Trip to Cassis and The End (Or is it?)

  • 8:00 AM - Wake up and head to Cassis. I decided to head to Cassis. I've never seen the coast of France before, so I was pretty excited!

  • 9:00 AM- Arrival in Cassis and the hike. The hike really tested my fitness. I saw a lot of nature and took some cool photos.

  • 12:00 PM - Beach Time Went straight to a beach. I enjoyed the sun.

  • 1:00 PM- Lunch in Cassis. I saw a lot of beautiful boats.

  • 3:00 PM- The ride back and farewell I rode back to my hotel.

  • 4:00 PM- packing-up A little bit sad…

  • 5:00 PM- Check out

  • 6:00 PM- Ride to Airport. Good bye Marseilles

  • 8:00 PM- Goodbye, France.

There you have it, folks. My beautifully imperfect Marseilles adventure. It wasn't perfect, it was often messy, and occasionally hilarious. But it was mine. And that, my friends, is what truly matters. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a plane to catch… and a whole lot of laundry to do when I get home.

Hornigold Aparthotel: Poland's Hidden Gem in Zielona Kamienica!

Book Now

Hotel La Marine, Vieux Port France

Hotel La Marine: Vieux Port's "Hidden Gem"? Okay, Let's Talk About That...

Infinity Inns

Hotel La Marine, Vieux Port France

Hotel La Marine, Vieux Port France