Sonnenhof Hotel & Spa: Germany's BEST Kept Secret? (Unbelievable Views!)

Sonnenhof Hotel & Spa Germany

Sonnenhof Hotel & Spa Germany

Sonnenhof Hotel & Spa: Germany's BEST Kept Secret? (Unbelievable Views!)

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we are about to dive headfirst into the (potentially) glorious, (probably) slightly messy, and (definitely) opinionated review of the Sonnenhof Hotel & Spa: Germany's BEST Kept Secret? (Unbelievable Views!) This is going to be less "sterile corporate brochure" and more "chatting with a slightly tipsy travel blogger on a mountaintop after a particularly excellent schnitzel." Let's do this.

(Deep breath, coffee in hand, ready to rant enthusiastically!)

First things first: THE VIEWS. The marketing folks aren't lying. If those views are on par with what they're showing, they could be the reason to go, the kind that make you want to spontaneously burst into a yodel. I mean, come on, "unbelievable views"?! That's a bold claim, and I'm here for it. Let's just assume, for the sake of argument, that the actual vistas are at least 80% as stunning as the photos. If the hotel somehow manages to make you forget you're in, you know, a hotel, because you're too busy staring at the… well, whatever view they offer, then they're winning.

Accessibility? Ugh, let's be real. This is one of my (many) bugbears. I really, really hope they've got some good accessibility going on. Because, frankly, even a hotel with the most stunning views in the world is a non-starter if it's physically impossible for someone with mobility issues to ENJOY THEM. So, here's a plea to the Sonnenhof: Wheelchair accessible? Really accessible. I'm talking ramps, elevators, accessible rooms with roll-in showers (not just a grab bar, please!), and easy access to the aforementioned "unbelievable views." Seriously, if you advertise something that can't be reached by everyone, your marketing is a big, fat lie. And, while we're at it, what about facilities for disabled guests in general? Are there Braille menus? Assistive listening devices in meeting rooms? Details matter, people! The review says they have "facilities for disabled guests." I would like to see more about that.

Internet? In this day and age… you better have it. And good internet. I don't care how "rustic" the hotel is trying to be – I’m not going to be stranded somewhere without internet. No one should have to rely on dial-up in 2024. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Ding, ding, ding! Good start. Internet [LAN]? Excellent for the old-school types (or those who need a super secure connection, I guess). Wi-Fi in public areas? Essential. I expect to be able to post those "unbelievable views" on Instagram immediately. Seriously, you can't be a "best kept secret" if you don't let me brag about it online.

Things to Do (and Ways to Relax) – The Good Stuff… and the Potential for Bliss

Okay, this is where it gets fun. First, let's talk about the Spa. I’m a spa fiend. Massages, body wraps, saunas… the whole shebang. Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Pool with view, Sauna, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor], Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage.. Now we're talking! My eyes are already glazing over, dreaming of a serious pampering session. If they offer a good, long, hot stone massage with locally sourced essential oils? I might just spontaneously combust from happiness. The Fitness center, Gym/fitness are great for those who want a little activity.

But, I've been to spas before. The whole scene can get a little… pretentious. Hoping this isn't one of those places where you're judged for ordering a second glass of champagne in the jacuzzi. Let me, at least, appear to be relaxing! If I were there… let's say I'd definitely work out the Couple's room at some point. (wink, wink)

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - Feed Me!

Now, let's see… the food scene. This is crucial. A gorgeous hotel with a lousy restaurant is a tragedy.

  • Restaurants: Plural. Good. More options the better.
  • A la carte in restaurant? Excellent. I hate buffets.
  • Asian cuisine in restaurant & International cuisine in restaurant: If that's true, then good, for all the options.
  • Bar, Poolside bar: Essentials!
  • Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Breakfast in room, Breakfast takeaway service, Western breakfast, Asian breakfast: It's an impressive selection.
  • Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Bottle of water: Fine by me
  • Desserts in restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Soup in restaurant: Good.
  • Room service [24-hour]: Another essential. Especially after a long day relaxing at the spa.
  • Happy hour: yes, absolutely.
  • Snack bar: Fine.
  • Vegetarian restaurant: Important.

The Safe dining setup is good! Even the Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Individually-wrapped food options and Alternative meal arrangement should be a standard, really.

Services and Conveniences - The Details Matter

  • Air conditioning in public area: I guess that's good.
  • Concierge: Nice.
  • Daily housekeeping: essential.
  • Elevator: Necessary.
  • Facilities for disabled guests: Still need more.
  • Food delivery: Interesting.
  • Laundry service: Good.
  • Luggage storage: Good.
  • Invoice provided: Of course.
  • Smoking area: Fine.
  • Terrace: Yes, please!

For the Kids (and the Babysitters!)

Family/child friendly, Babysitting service, Kids facilities, Kids meal: Interesting.

Cleanliness and Safety - Because COVID isn't Over

  • Anti-viral cleaning products: Necessary in today's world.
  • Cashless payment service: Good; a sign of the times
  • Daily disinfection in common areas: Great to hear.
  • Hand sanitizer: Should be everywhere.
  • Hygiene certification: Another thing to consider.
  • Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: Standard, hopefully?
  • Professional-grade sanitizing services: Essential.
  • Rooms sanitized between stays: Absolutely.
  • Staff trained in safety protocol: Yes, please.

Rooms - Home Away From Home (Hopefully a Nice Home)

Okay, so, the rooms themselves… the bare bones that hopefully make this the perfect spot.

  • Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens: Very good.

A Few More Ramblings… and What I'd Like to See

  • Non-Smoking Rooms: THANK GOD.
  • Pets allowed unavailable: Boo.
  • Proposal spot, Room decorations: Fine.

Getting Around

  • Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking: Good to have for all the options.

So, Here's the Beef: The Real Questions…

  1. The "Secret" Part: Is this place really a hidden gem? Or is it just… okay?
  2. The Vibe: Is it stuffy and formal? Or relaxed and welcoming? I want the latter. Less "Downton Abbey" and more "chilled-out mountain retreat."
  3. The Service: Is the staff genuinely helpful, or just going through the motions? A truly amazing experience comes down to the people. They can make or break it.
  4. The Unexpected: Does the Sonnenhof have that thing – that little extra detail, the quirky touch, the something special that makes it memorable? Because that's what I'm looking for.

My Ideal Sonnenhof Experience (Just to Paint a Picture)

Imagine: Arriving after

Frederick I-70 Getaway: Econo Lodge Deals You Won't Believe!

Book Now

Sonnenhof Hotel & Spa Germany

Okay, buckle up, buttercup, because this Sonnenhof Hotel & Spa itinerary is gonna be less "smooth sailing" and more "slightly-seasick, clinging to the railing while simultaneously marveling at the view." Prepare for all the messiness that is ME in travel form.

Sonnenhof Hotel & Spa: My German Dream… or at Least, a Long Weekend Attempt Thereof

Day 1: Arrival and the Great Sauna Debacle (aka, Humiliation Begins)

  • Morning (8:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Ugh, the flight. Let's just say my attempts to "sleep on the plane" resulted in more drool than Zzz's. Landing in Munich felt like… well, it felt like I'd been crammed into a tin can with a bunch of strangers for a solid chunk of my life. Thank GOD for Ryanair's promise of low prices, oh wait, maybe not. The train to Sonnenhof started okay then turned into the usual, "Where the hell do I put this suitcase?" chaos. Finally, the glorious, quaint, flower-box-filled village of Lermoos!
  • Afternoon (12:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Check-in. Sonnenhof itself is gorgeous. Seriously. Like, Instagram-worthy gorgeous. I'm talking Tyrolean charm oozing from every timber beam and flower-filled window box. The view? Jaw-dropping peaks. My room? Perfect. Breathe in, breathe out. This is what I needed! Then came lunch – traditional German fare with way more potato products than I'm used to. (Note to self: Pace yourself, woman!)
  • Late Afternoon/Evening (4:00 PM - 8:00 PM): THE SAUNA. Oh, the sauna. This is where things went… sideways. See, I'm not a "sauna person." I'm more of a "sit-in-a-freezing-cold-room-watching-Netflix-in-a-blanket person." But, "when in Rome" (or, you know, a luxurious spa hotel in the Alps), right? Wrong. I ventured in, full of (slightly naive) confidence. The initial heat was… bearable. Then, the heat got intense. My glasses immediately fogged up. I could barely see. People were looking zen, I'm over here thinking I'm going to melt, but "when in Rome" right?? Wrong. Suddenly, the smell! Oh, the essential oils of… something. Eucalyptus? Pine? It was a relentless wave of perfumed torture. I started to sweat profusely, legs feeling like jelly. A few minutes later, I bolted. Mortifying. I crept out, defeated, and chugged a bottle of ice water, promising myself I'd stick to the pool for the rest of the trip. The shame! Dinner was a blur of trying to look sophisticated while internally screaming, "Never. Again."
  • Evening (8:00 PM onwards): Bed. Exhaustion. Mild embarrassment. And the distinct feeling that maybe, just maybe, I'm not cut out for spas.

Day 2: Mountain Bliss and the Quest for the Perfect Strudel

  • Morning (9:00 AM- 12:00 PM): Okay, redemption time! After a fantastic sleep, I decided to hike. The air was crisp, the sun was shining, and the view from the top was absolutely breathtaking. Seriously, I almost cried. It was that beautiful. The cable car was a fun ride, and the trails were well-marked. I even saw a few cows with those adorable big bells around their necks. I mean, cliché, I know, but cute nonetheless.
  • Afternoon (12:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Lunch in a charming alpine hut. The food was simple, rustic, and incredibly delicious. And the beer. Oh, the beer! Golden, frothy, and perfect after a hike. Fuelled, I decided to embrace the afternoon and find the perfect Apfelstrudel. This quest became an obsession. I visited three different cafes, sampling a strudel at each. Each was good, don't get me wrong, but they'd all be missing one thing, too dense, too sweet, not enough cinnamon… I had to find the one!
  • Late Afternoon/Evening (4:00 PM - 8:00 PM): More spa time! I stuck to the pool. The indoor pool was all warm, and relaxing. I actually managed to enjoy it this time. Post-pool, I sat outside on the veranda and enjoyed the incredible views. Dinner: the restaurant's local take on pizza. (I still felt a little traumatised by the Sauna, so pizza was some comfort.)
  • Evening (8:00 PM onwards): Continued my quest for the perfect strudel. I walked into the village, determined to find the one. Eventually, I stumbled upon a tiny bakery tucked away a side street. Everything smelled of almonds and warm butter. The strudel? Perfect. Light, flaky pastry, not too sweet, with just the right amount of cinnamon. I sat in the bustling cafe and devoured the entire thing. Joy. Pure, unadulterated joy.

Day 3: Restless Adventures and the Farewell Feast

  • Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Feeling adventurous, I decided to rent a bike. Now, I'm not exactly a seasoned cyclist. My last bike ride was probably ten years ago. But how hard could it be, right? Wrong. The hills were steep. My lungs screamed. I almost fell off the bike three times. But, I kept going, and the views were worth it! The ride was fantastic, even if it was slightly terrifying.
  • Afternoon (12:00 PM - 4:00 PM): The final lunch. I tried to go for something healthy this time, but the temptation of another bratwurst was too much. I indulged. No regrets. I explored more of the village and found a lovely little artisan shop full of souvenirs.
  • Late Afternoon/Evening (4:00 PM - 8:00 PM): Packing. Yes, I know, hardly the most exciting activity, but I needed to be ready to leave. I took a long hot bath, savouring the last few moments. Dinner, a farewell feast at the hotel restaurant. The food was amazing. I mean, I actually started to feel a bit sad about leaving. This place had gotten under my skin.
  • Evening (8:00 PM onwards): One last stroll around the village, a final strudel for the road (you know, for the flight), and a promise to myself to return!

Day 4: Departure

  • Morning (7:00 AM - 9:00 AM): Goodbye, Sonnenhof! Goodbye, mountains! Goodbye, strudel (though I might smuggle one onto the plane). The journey back to Munich was uneventful, which was a relief.
  • The Verdict: Sonnenhof? Worth it. The beauty, the food, the little village, the slightly traumatising spa, the bike ride, and most importantly, the strudel… it was all worth it. Even with the sauna debacle, I’d go back in a heartbeat. Just, maybe, I'll stick to the pool next time. And maybe, I need to brush up on my biking skills.
Indonesian Family Paradise: Cozy 1BR Duplex Suite Awaits!

Book Now

Sonnenhof Hotel & Spa Germany

Sonnenhof Hotel & Spa: Germany's BEST Kept Secret? (Chaos Included!)

Is this place *really* a secret? Or just a well-marketed illusion?

Oof, good question. See, the "best kept secret" thing… well, it's *marketing*. Let's be honest. I'd seen Instagram pics of Sonnenhof for ages, all dreamy sunsets and infinity pools. But the truth? It *feels* like a secret once you're there. It's nestled in the Bavarian Alps, so far removed from the city bustle that it's like you've accidentally stumbled into a fairytale. Getting there? Now, *that's* an adventure. Driving those winding roads, especially in a rental car, is enough to make you question your life choices. But when the views finally hit you? Yeah, *then* the secret comes into focus. You understand the hype.

What are the views *really* like? (Be honest!)

Okay, okay, deep breath. The views… are… ridiculous. Borderline offensive in their beauty. I'm talking postcard-perfect, jaw-dropping, "I need to sit down and process this level of gorgeousness" stunning. I swear, I spent half my stay just slack-jawed, staring at the mountains change colors with the setting sun. One evening, I was on the balcony, sipping a (slightly overpriced, let's be real) Aperol Spritz and a massive thunderstorm rolled in. The contrast of the dark clouds, the illuminated peaks, and the flash of lightning? Epic. My phone ran out of storage from the photos. My first time there, when I saw the view? I choked on my coffee. Seriously. It was that kind of experience.

Is the spa as amazing as the photos suggest? (Because I'm cynical.)

Alright, cynical friend, I GET it. Instagram can be lies. But the spa? Surprisingly, no lies. The infinity pool… yes, it *is* as gorgeous as it looks. I spent a solid hour in there just… existing. Floating. Letting go of the tension. I'm not a 'spa person' usually. I find it a bit… much. But this one? It's different. Maybe it's the mountain air. Maybe it's the silence (mostly). Maybe it's the fact that you can order a glass of Prosecco while you're soaking. Whatever it is, it's heavenly. Okay I'm gushing now. But honestly, the saunas? Incredible. Worth braving the nudity (Germans… they don't mind). The treatments? A bit pricey, but worth it, *especially* after a hike.

What about the food? Is it all pretentious Michelin-star stuff?

Okay, the food. This is where it gets… complicated. Sonnenhof has a couple of restaurants. One is definitely geared toward fine dining, with a tasting menu that'll make your wallet weep. It's good, don't get me wrong. But I got a bit… bored. The portions were tiny and the waitstaff seemed a little too polished. The other restaurant however… well, that's where the magic truly lies. The "Gaststube" is traditional Bavarian fare. Think hearty portions of schnitzel, dumplings, and Apfelstrudel. And the *beer*? Oh, the beer is flowing like magic. Be warned: it's easy to overindulge. I may or may not have woken up at 3 am one night, wondering if I'd dreamed the entire meal.

Is it kid-friendly? Because my kids are… let's just say, active.

Honestly? This is a tough one. Sonnenhof is definitely geared towards a more… serene experience. Think couples, retirees, people who appreciate quiet. I saw a *few* kids there, but mostly well-behaved ones. There's an outdoor playground and some walking trails, but… I wouldn't bring a gaggle of wild toddlers. Unless you are looking for those looks. You know the ones. The eyerolls. The "Oh, *them* again?" whispers. If your kids are chill? Awesome. If they're energetic? Maybe scope out a different place. Think before you go!

What was your *worst* experience? (Be honest, again!)

Okay, here's the truth. My first trip? My room wasn't ready on time. And then… the key card stopped working. Twice. It was a minor inconvenience, sure, but a pain nonetheless. And the mini-bar… Oh god, the mini-bar. I'm pretty sure that tiny bottle of water cost more than my first car. The other *minor* issue? Getting lost on the hiking trails. I swear, I'm usually pretty good with directions. The hotel provides this beautiful map, but I thought I could just wing it. Let's just say I ended up bushwhacking through some seriously thorny bushes, covered in mud, questioning my life choices, and covered in mosquito bites. And it was a 3-hour ordeal before I actually found my way back. The humiliation!

And the best experience? Tell us *that*!

Hands down? The sunrise. One morning, I woke up before dawn, dragged myself out of bed, and stumbled onto my balcony. I had already been there many times but that morning… there was a fiery sky, illuminating the mountaintops. I was drinking coffee, still half-asleep, with my jaw hanging open. The sheer beauty of the natural world at its peak. It was so overwhelming, I just stood there, letting the warmth wash over me, feeling profoundly grateful. I'll never forget it. It's a memory that still brings a smile to my face months later.

Would you actually recommend it? Despite all the quirks?

Absolutely. YES. Even with the key card drama, the slightly-too-expensive drinks, and my near-death experience on the hiking trails, I would go back in a heartbeat. Sonnenhof is a place for disconnecting, for feeling small in the face of enormous beauty, and for indulging in some serious relaxation. It's not perfect, but it's close. And that view? It's worth every single penny. Go. Just, maybe, pack a good map.

Easy Hotel Hunt

Sonnenhof Hotel & Spa Germany

Sonnenhof Hotel & Spa Germany